Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Ostrich anyone?

Michael has been making amazing meals for me nonstop. I am not partial to parsnips, only because I'm not really sure how else to cook them apart from roasting or in a stew. I didn't grow up eating parnips, so I usually stay clear of them during my weekly market trips. Last week, I got some nice piece (according to the butcher) of ostrich. Hmm...now THIS I've never cooked before. I've tried ostrich once, in a chinese restaurant in all places, but it was overshadowed with loads of sauce (pretty good sauce....) not much ostrich taste. Not like I know what ostrich tastes like anyway. Fast forward years later...why not try it I said? (I'm neurotic that way talking about myself as if I weren't here).

For the maximum taste of the ostrich, Mike decided to sear it very quickly on a really hot pan. Best way really...it turned out perfect. Unless you consider the fact that we thought we had kangaroo meat. Tsk tsk...ignoramus. Ignoramus with a content belly.

Ostrich with roast potatoes, pickled onions, wild mushrooms and parsnip chips ( I loved them!)

1 Comments:

Blogger So said...

No...actually...it tastes a lot like beef. I wouldn't have known it was ostrich if I didn't buy the meat myself. It's a bit gamier than beef but not a lot.

1:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home