Monday, September 25, 2006

Koeksisters...

Sitting beside Sean at work has given me new insight about South Africa. What I know about it could fit in the palm of my hands but that's a lot better than before. When I first came here I didn't know anything about South Africa...that's embarassing. Now I have moved up a bit in my geography lessons. I have made my first South African dessert...or maybe it's a snack.

When I'm stressed out at work I start browsing through food websites and that invariably makes someone hungry. I think maybe Sean was just tired of getting hungry seeing the food so he introduced me to a traditional South African dessert...or snack. Hmmm...note to self...must ask if it's a dessert or a snack. Palm of my hand remember?

Koeksisters...cook what? Captain cook? (I didn't say that out loud...I thought it was spelled cooksisters...duh) Aparently in SA it's a mix of Dutch, something I don't remember (I am getting quite forgetful lately) and British immigrants. Hence the dutch sounding name. Not bad eh? You learn something new everyday.

It's really easy to make (ok so Mike helped out a little bit, hey I was making dinner). The dough rests for an hour and puffs up quite a bit. After resting you roll them into strips or braid them. I opted for the braiding. It's then deep fried and coated with syrup flavored with cinnamon.



The finished product... mmmmmmmmm



It kinda reminded me of cinnamon buns and I mean it as a compliment. I think it turned out pretty good for my first foray into making it. Although Steve (another brilliant South African coworker) says it could do with a bit more syrup as they tend to overload the real thing with the syrup coating. If he says it then it must be true.

It got the thumbs up from Sean, I think Steve liked it as well. I may not be the real thing but I'm proud of my koeksisters... Yummm

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home